Thursday 24 February 2011

Hand-Painted Wool Colour

With my hands deep into designing for deadlines, I've been interspersing my schedule with some painting time.
Free Trade Sock Yarn 100gms $24.00

Played with a new primary red, which was actually a special run of a colour from a dye company. When it's gone, it's gone, but while it's lasting, I've been having fun with it. I love this sock yarn -- it's squidgy and bouncy -- an 8-strand 4ply weight. There's more yarn and shop news on the shopblog.

Colleen's Shawl in merino/lyocell – Colleen, lace shawl knitter extraordinary, came by on Sunday to show off her gorgeous lace shawl. It's just fabulous, complete with lovely little smokey purple beads. *sigh* My photo doesn't do it justice. This shawl was knitted in a SIOz test colourway of a yarn I was contemplating, a 50/50 merino/lyo blend.

The colourway is too subtle for me to adequately capture – light greens and purples with grey. Colleen has knitted it all. In my excitement to look at her shawls, I neglected to take a photo of the second one she brought in – a 1.5 ply alpaca lace beauty in aquas and blues. Ia yarn 'd painted a while ago. That shawl is amazing as well. Can't wait to see what she creates with the new SIOz mohair and wool lace.

It will be a warm and sunny day at the Port Markets this weekend. CU there and online, M

No comments: